Not Too Much Technology



Before you begin reading my below thoughts I want to say I found reducing my technology intake much harder than I thought I would!  I have started this post preaching how we should all spend less time on our phones and computers however when you are in the middle of trying to work out a technical issue on this blog for instance it is quite difficult to step away.  However I have found by stepping away and maybe looking at how to videos on you tube and coming back to the blog / issue it has helped my frustration.  Anyway have a read as to my initial thoughts and how I got on!

Technology obviously has a huge place in our modern world and it does make things so much easier and quicker, however it also makes us more accessible to others at all times.  We become always available.  We can even see now when our messages have been read, pressurising the receiver to reply immediately.

It is not only the social networking sites and whats app that is not particularly good for us, in general too much screen time can make you feel more aggravated, shorter tempered and tired.  Whether it is a computer game, writing a blog, social networking it is all quite addictive and can suck you in for hours.  Time flies and all of a sudden an hour has passed and all you've done is look at what other people are doing on facebook.

Now don't get me wrong, all of the above have their place.  Social media is amazing for keeping in touch with friends, computer games can help keep the mind active and train the brain.  Writing or reading blogs can inspire creativeness.  Technology has its place but I do think perhaps limit your leisure time that you spend on screen.

I am going to ensure with my new blog that I only spend half an hour on this a day.  Sometimes I may get stuck on something and get frustrated and angry and then spend the whole day trying to fix it.  This results in terrible rage. I am going to try this for a couple of weeks and see how I get on and report back on how far I have come with my blog and also my mood
I have recently found a new app that is a style app which is quite relaxing for me to look on, however I think this also should be limited too.  So even if you think you are enjoying it, I would suggest to limit the time you are looking at it.  I may use up 10 minutes of my afternoon on this app which I will discuss more in a different post.  This post is an experiment to limit my use of technology and notice my moods and happiness

SO I failed massively on the first day of less technology!  I need to currently sign off now!! Its very addictive and very hard as I am currently frustrated with gadgets and complicated blog stuff that I do not understand.  However in the name of happiness I am logging off!  I will report back tomorrow!!

So I have had a few days off of the blogging and technology and I may be a little less frustrated.  I'm not entirely sure it is making a huge difference.  Although I do think when I've just kept my laptop on all day trying to work things out on my blog and look after my 5 month old baby I have had a shorter temper.  SO although it is very difficult to log off when you are in the middle of something, I think it is essential for wellbeing.

So yesterday I spent quite a bit of time on my blog... more than what I am mean't to for this experiment, however I actually got a little further along with a few technical issues and gained quite a bit of satisfaction from it....

My conclusion is to avoid sitting on social media for hours for sure as I don't think I whole lot of satisfaction will come from that.  Try to avoid hours of  screen work if possible and aim to limit the time on screen work so you have time to enjoy other hobbies, like reading, watching a film, baking, going for a walk or a run or doing some yoga.  However screen time does have its place, just limit it where you can for your own wellbeing!

My other top tip is if you are doing lots of screenwork, ensure your working atmosphere is relaxing.  Have a cup of tea at the ready, light a candle, play classical music whilst you are working away to keep you relaxed and happy!

Comments